Chaffey locks up 2nd in Foothill

first_imgAlthough AVC made a late run, Chaffey may have dealt the fatal blow when Price had a four-point play to give the Panthers a 60-38 lead with 14:54 to play. Antelope Valley got to within 75-64 with 4:45 left on a layup by Ade Dagunduro, but got no closer. Dagunduro, a leading candidate for conference MVP, scored 21 of his 29 points in the second half, making 11 of 15 free throws, all after halftime. As a team, Chaffey was even more impressive at the line, making 21 of 26, including all 15 in the second half. “I think we’ll probably be a five, six or seven (seed),” Klein said. The playoff pairings will be announced on Monday. CHAFFEY WOMEN The Panthers came up with the biggest win in coach Gary Plunkett’s two seasons as coach, rallying from a 19-point first-half deficit to down Antelope Valley 80-66. “This really propels us into the playoffs,” Plunkett said. Plunket hopes the Panthers (21-9 overall, 10-4 Foothill Conference) moved up into the top 14 seeds with the victory over the Marauders (22-10, 12-2), ranked No. 10 in Southern California. By getting into the top 14, Chaffey would avoid a play-in game and a first-round matchup against Pasadena or Mt. San Antonio. After trailing by 13 at halftime (42-29), Chaffey scored 51 second-half points or seven more than they did in an entire game in a 23-point loss last month at Antelope Valley. “That was the best half we played all year,” Plunkett said. “I felt good once we tied it up.” Jessica Thorpe (11 points) made the 3-pointer that gave the Panthers lead lead for good, 54-52 with 10:28 to play. Carly Horine made five 3-pointers and scored a season-high 21 points and Christina Warren added 20, making all 10 of her free throws. Lillie Parks added 15 points and 11 rebounds. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The victory clinches second place in the conference for Chaffey (28-6 overall, 12-2 Foothill), dropping Antelope Valley (27-6, 11-3) into third. “Being at home helps,” Klein said. “We went undefeated at home (9-0). We just feel more comfortable here.” Chaffey had lost by 14 at San Bernardino Valley on Wednesday, and by five in overtime at Antelope Valley last month. “We were tied 53-53 (with SBVC), but we couldn’t get off with our threes,” Klein said. The Panthers did on Saturday, making 12 of 36 3-pointers the game (compared to zero of eight for AVC), leading early 28-12. Chaffey, which rarely wins the rebounding battle, out-rebounded the Maurauders 38-36. Brandon Price led the way with eight rebounds to go along with his 13 points. Jamar Berry and Michael Strawberry led five Chaffey players in double figures with 14 points apiece. “I thought we were able to play the game at our pace,” Klein said. “We scored 47 in the first half, and we didn’t want the game (at the half) to be in the 20s or 30s.” center_img RANCHO CUCAMONGA – For Chaffey College men’s basketball coach Jeff Klein, it’s not so much a difference between night and day, but between road and home. Chaffey jumped out to an early lead, led by as many as 23 points in the second half en route to a 93-78 victory on Saturday afternoon at Sicosky Gym in the Foothill Conference finale for both schools. last_img read more

Read More »

CDC recognized as early years centre by Province

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Province has recognized Fort St. John’s Child Development Centre as an early years centre. As a result there will be better access to free programs through the Rotary Play Centre where children can participate in play based learning activities.CDC early years coordinator Crystal Kalas said centres like the Rotary Play Centre play a big role for families with young children as they help with growth in various areas of development.“The early years centres are about communities working together to ensure families have access to services about promoting health, well-being and development of children zero to six years. We’re hoping to increase services within the community for the zero to six population and make some of our programs a bit more accessible for families as well who maybe struggle with transportation,” she said.- Advertisement -Kalas added the CDC has been working closely with the Family Friendly Coalition who has already been doing a lot of those initiatives within the community.Of note going forward Kalas said the CDC is having an early years health round-up slated for March 16. The event is free with services available including dental, vision, and hearing checks, and face painting.last_img read more

Read More »

Sigurdsson’s record move to Everton hinges on medical

first_imgSigurdsson, who played a pivotal role in Swansea retaining their Premier League status last term after scoring nine goals and creating 13, pulled out of their pre-season tour to the United States and was not included in the squad for last weekend’s 0-0 draw with Southampton.Swansea, who are also battling to keep Chelsea target and veteran Spanish striker Fernando Llorente, had wanted £50m.They have already turned down two bids from Everton and rejected a reported £40m offer one from 2016 champions Leicester at the beginning of the summer.It is believed, though, that Everton will get their way in paying an initial £40m with another £5m to follow, taking their close season spending under Ronald Koeman to over £140m.Everton’s majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri has spent close to £100m so far in recruiting former favourite Wayne Rooney, goalkeeper Jordan Pickford (£30m), midfielder Davy Klaassen (£23.6m), defender Michael Keane (£30m), Cuco Martina and Sandro Ramirez.However, a considerable proportion of the spending has been financed by the £75m sale of striker Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United.They could further balance the books with a big money sale of midfielder Ross Barkley to Tottenham Hotspur, although he is presently injured and likely to be out till October.Icelandic international Sigurdsson finished third in combined goals and assists amongst midfielders in the Premier League last season behind Manchester City’s Kevin de Bruyne and Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gylfi Sigurdsson scored nine goals and was credited with 13 assists for Swansea City last season © AFP/File / Geoff CaddickLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 16 – Iceland midfielder is due to complete a Sh6b (£45m) move to Everton from Premier League rivals Swansea later on Wednesday if he passes a medical, British media reported.The 27-year-old, due to sign a five year contract worth £100,000 a week, would be Everton’s record signing, topping the £31.8m they paid Chelsea for Romelu Lukaku in 2014.last_img read more

Read More »

MEET ME IN ST LOUIS! COLÁISTE AILIGH STUDENTS ON EASTER TRIP TO STATES

first_imgOn Easter Sunday 14 lucky Coláiste Ailigh Transition Year students will fly off to St Louis as part of an exchange program that’s in its tenth year.The seven girls will spend three weeks attending Villa Duchesne and St Joseph’s Academy which are all girls private schools whilst the boys will attend Priory College and Desmet High school.It’s a fantastic opportunity for the students and one of the main highlights of their transition Year program. The exchange program is jointly organised by Coláiste Ailigh and the Donegal Friends of St Louis who have been promoting economic, cultural, tourist and educational links between the two counties since 1992. MEET ME IN ST LOUIS! COLÁISTE AILIGH STUDENTS ON EASTER TRIP TO STATES was last modified: March 27th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Colaiste AilighSt LouisTransiition YearTriplast_img read more

Read More »

‘TIME’ MAGAZINE TOP 100 PERSON TO VISIT DONEGAL!

first_imgMembers of Letterkenny’s Mary’s Meal group with founder Magnus McFarlane-Barrow.A businessman who has just been named as one of Time magazine’s top 100 most influential people is to visit Co Donegal. Magnus McFarlane-Barrow is the founder of Mary’s Meals Support Group – a charity which has fed millions of people around the globe.The group has a very active local group which is based in Letetrkenny. Magnus, the Founder and CEO of Mary’s Meals, will be in Letterkenny on Tuesday 5th May 2015.Still having his global headquarters in the shed he borrowed from his Dad, Magnus leads Mary’s Meals who are currently feeding 996,926 children every school day.He encourages all to use their gifts so that hungry children can be fed, receive an education and so break the cycle of poverty.In the next few weeks it is hope that the announcement will be made that Mary’s Meals will be feeding one million children every school day. While this is a wonderful achievement there is still much to be done with an estimated 57 million children going hungry in the world each day.The schedule for Tuesday 5th May is:from 10.30 am until 1.30 pm there will be Stalls at Trinity Hall (at the Cathedral Car Park) where volunteers will display what we do in order to raise awareness and funds for Mary’s Meals. There will be a free draw for a hamper made up in thankfulness for the support we have received by the members of the Support Group.In the afternoon Magnus will see Loreto Secondary students fill back packs for Mary’s Meals which will be later shipped to schools that are receiving Mary’s Meals.So far the Letterkenny Mary’s Meals Support Group have shipped just over 500 backpacks, while globally Mary’s Meals have shipped just over half a million back packs. Magnus will then travel to Omagh to visit the Omagh Group before returning to St Eunan’s Cathedral where we will have Mass at 7.30 pm followed by a Holy Hour at which Magnus will speak.Th day will finish in the Station House Hotel as we launch our third walk from Malin to Knock. At the launch Magnus will tell the story of Mary’s Meals. Everyone is welcome to attend any and/or all of these events.‘TIME’ MAGAZINE TOP 100 PERSON TO VISIT DONEGAL! was last modified: April 29th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalletterkennyMary’s Mealsviistlast_img read more

Read More »

RAMELTON MAN ADMITS CHARGES OF ASSAULTING CHILD

first_imgA RAMELTON man has pleaded guilty to three separate charges of assaulting a baby.Shaun McCahill, 166 St Mary’s Terrace in the town, appeared before Letterkenny Circuit Court.The 23-year-old admitted assaulting the child causing harm on dates unknown in April 2011, again between May 1 and May 17 2011 and on a third occasion on May 18, 2011. After entering guilty pleas, Judge John O’Hagan remanded McCahill on continuing bail to await probation and psychiatric reports.RAMELTON MAN ADMITS CHARGES OF ASSAULTING CHILD was last modified: April 24th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:RAMELTON MAN ADMITS CHARGES OF ASSAULTING WOMANlast_img read more

Read More »

Letterkenny businessman found not guilty of trafficking

first_imgA Letterkenny resident and his brother-in-law have been acquitted of human trafficking and exploitation charges in a Sligo court.Sorin Cirpaci, 42, of Fortwell Court, Letterkenny (pictured above) and Augustin Covaci, 36, of Cartron, Sligo both denied trafficking a fellow Romanian national to work at a car wash on Pearse Road. Following a three-day trial at Sligo Circuit Court, Judge Francis Comerford directed the jury to acquit the men following legal argument from defence counsel.The men were accused of trafficking between 28 May 2015 and 9 September 2015 at the car wash on Pearse Road Sligo.  It was alleged that the men retained a man’s passport and deceived him regarding payment by failing to pay him as agreed or not at all.RTE News reports that the alleged victim told Retired Detective Garda Michael Carr that Mr Covaci had his passport and he was not happy with the situation there.Mr Carr said it emerged the man had reversed a car into an Audi which was there for valeting and after that his passport was taken from him and he was only given €4 a day.The alleged victim came into Ireland around May 2015 and worked at a car wash in Letterkenny before being moved to Sligo.A jury of 11 men and one woman returned a not guilty verdict for both Mr Covaci and Mr Cirpaci, as directed by Judge Comerford, who said legal points had been argued before him by defence counsel and directing an acquittal was “the appropriate action to take.”Letterkenny businessman found not guilty of trafficking was last modified: November 16th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More »

DONEGAL ISLAND GOES ON THE MARKET FOR €1MILLION

first_imgTHE owner of Inishdooey Island off Magheraroarty has gone on the market with a price tag of a whopping €1M – but even the owner thinks it’s a bit steep.Falcarragh man Mark McClafferty, who works in England as a long distance lorry driver, inherited the island from his late grandfather Vin Duggan.Lying three miles off shore, the 94-acre island is a haven for wildlife. Mr McClafferty has hired specialist company Vladi Private Islands to sell the land which comes with the ruins of a house and the remains of a church.He admitted the asking price was ‘a bit over-inflated’ for the current economic climate, but added: “I decided to put it on the market to see if there would be any interest in it. It is an amazingly beautiful place.”So far – according to his agents – there have been no offers.Interested? Click on here to see more: www.vladi-private-islands.de/sale/site/html/cms_de-sale_detail_en-1865/ DONEGAL ISLAND GOES ON THE MARKET FOR €1MILLION was last modified: May 26th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegal island for saleInishdooeylast_img read more

Read More »

BOWLS: DONEGAL CROWNED JUNIOR CHAMPIONS!

first_imgFollowing Donegal Ladies winning the All Ireland McIlroy Cup, Donegal juniors were not to be out done and, on Saturday, they travelled to Ballymoney in search of the Junior Inter Zone Cup.Having reached the semi final stages three weeks ago, they were drawn against Oriel Zone, who have been commanding in the junior game for some three years. Donegal proceeded to out bowl the opposition, winning by seven shots.In the other semi final, Northern got the better of Mid Antrim. Donegal moved into a 10 shot lead after three ends but Northern proceeded to peg them back and the match was all square after eight ends. However, Donegal rallied strongly over the last two ends and romped home winners by, again, seven shots. Great credit to the boys and girls who represented the county who certainly did us proud.The teams were; Rink One; Finlay Marshall, Matthew Kilpatrick, Jonny Crawford and Jamie Glackin. Rink Two; David Bonner, Vanessa McHugh, Gary Glackin and Michael Gallagher. Rink Three; Colin Glackin, Caroline O’Kane, Lisa O’Kane and Samuel Bredin. Donegal are now Irish Inter Zone Ladies and Junior Champions and it has been a great fortnight for the county.Meanwhile John Quinn, Ballylennon, pictured, won the inaugural  Dunfanaghy Singles, which was played in the Ozanam Centre.Runner up was Richard Soames, Forresters, Killybegs and the semi finalists were John Hegarty, Glenties and Pat McSorley, Strabane CC. Other qualifiers on the night were Lexie Gilfillan, Strabane Pres, Joe Duggan, Dunfanaghy, Bill McKinley, Dunfanaghy, Geoffrey Bustard, Glenmore, Danny McLaughlin, Quigleys Point, Michael Gallagher, Gortahork, Jamie Glackin, Maghery, PJ Gallagher, Burtonport, Patsy Boyle, Burtonport, Helen Foster, Strabane CC, Eddie McGonigle, Gortahork and Bertie Cole, St Johnston BC.  BOWLS: DONEGAL CROWNED JUNIOR CHAMPIONS! was last modified: February 26th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BOWLS: DONEGAL CROWNED JUNIOR CHAMPIONS!last_img read more

Read More »

Track Returns To Lincoln For Final Pre-MVC Tune-Up

first_img Live Results Following this weekend’s competition, the Bulldogs travel to the MVC Championship in Wichita, Kan., May 12-14. Print Friendly Version Heat Sheets The Drake University track and field teams return to Lincoln, Neb., this weekend for the Nebraska Invitational, May 6. The one-day meet will be the Bulldogs’ final competition before the Missouri Valley Conference Championship. The teams will be sending more than 30 competitors to Lincoln with other team members remaining home to rest up for the MVC Championship. Action at the Nebraska Invitational begins at 2:30 p.m. for the Bulldogs and continues throughout the afternoon. Story Links The Bulldogs currently have 25 performances this season that rank in the top-10 in the MVC this season including the team’s hurdlers owning seven of the top-10 marks in the four hurdle events. Four Bulldogs rank in the top-10 in the men’s 400-meter hurdles while Mary Young (Urbandale, Iowa) leads the league in the women’s 100-meter hurdles. Three of the team’s sprinters also rank in the top-10 in the men’s 100 meters this season.last_img read more

Read More »