ORPC Begins RivGen Set Up in Alaska

first_imgORPC has started the RivGen device set up on the ground in Igiugig Village, Alaska.The RivGen device will generate clean, predictable, renewable power from the Kvichak River, and send it to the remote community’s microgrid, offsetting its diesel fuel use by 50%.Earlier this month U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski welcomed the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approval of the project in Alaska.The Igiugig Village Council is the first tribal entity in the United States to achieve this approval.FERC approval was achieved through the agency’s pilot license process, established to encourage development of innovative hydrokinetic technology.Furthermore, ÉireComposites completed the turbines for ORPC’s RivGen system in the beginning of June.This first commercial system will be installed in the Kvichak River at Igiugig this summer.last_img read more

Read More »

LIAT to review strategies to ensure survival

first_img Share Share Share Tweet Sharing is caring!center_img Dr Ralph Gonsalves BRIDGETOWN, Barbados — St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves says shareholder governments of the regional airline LIAT have come up with a short-term plan to ensure the survival of the airline.Gonsalves, Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer and Prime Minister of Barbados, Freundel Stuart, met in Barbados on Wednesday to discuss the way forward for the airline.Gonsalves told members of the media that the shareholder governments have come up with a number of options to keep the cash strapped carrier servicing the region.He said the issue of fleet renewal and fleet expansion also came up for discussions.Gonsalves said that, last year, the airline lost an estimated EC$46 million for the year, compared with a loss of $20 million the previous year.Caribbean News Now NewsRegional LIAT to review strategies to ensure survival by: – February 3, 2012 7 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Read More »

Enrollment in schools extended until July 15

first_imgA parent submits the “Learner Enrollment Survey Form” of her child in a drop box. The Department of Education recently announced the implementation of the ‘drop box’ system located in schools and barangay halls where parents may submit enrollment documents to supplement the ongoing remote enrollment for the incoming school year. ABS-CBN NEWS “Kasi malaki ang demand (for enrollment extension) maski nagkaroon ng kalituhan kung kailan (ang pasukan), kami hindi kami nagbabago na ang talagang pag-umpisa ng klase ay August 24,” Briones said in an interview with DZBB. “Marami akong natatanggap na mga request kung pwedeng i-accomodate ‘yung mga anak nila,” she added. “Magandang senyales ito, magandang balita ito na ang parents talagang gusto nilang mag- aral ‘yung mga anak nila.” Briones, in a radio interview early on Tuesday, said the enrollment extension was decided since only around 12 million expected students are yet to be registered on the last day of enrollment on Tuesday. MANILA – The Department of Education (DepEd) has extended the enrollment period for public schools for the upcoming school year until July 15, Malacañang said Tuesday. Based on the data by DepEd, the total number of students who have enrolled for the coming school year was 15,686,506, as of 5:30 p.m. on Monday. CALABARZON has the most number of enrollees followed by Central Luzon and National Capital Region. “Extended ang enrollment until July 15. Pupwede po ba, hanggang ngayon pa lang, i-enroll na natin ang ating mga anak,” Roque said in a virtual press conference at the Palace. Citing a report from DepEd chief Leonor Briones, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the enrollment for school year 2020-2021 was extended to give more time for those who failed to enroll last month. DepEd set the first two weeks of June for online enrollment, while the other two weeks for “physical” enrollment, where parents and learners will submit enrollment forms remotely or via drop boxes./PNlast_img read more

Read More »

Police Chief Arrested After Domestic Altercation

first_imgA domestic dispute call resulted in the arrest of Aurora’s police chief.According to the Indiana State Police, troopers and Dearborn County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a domestic disturbance on Harrison Avenue in Aurora around 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning.“The investigation revealed 42-year-old Bryan Fields and his wife, 42-year-old Holly were in a physical confrontation which resulted in her being transported to Dearborn County Hospital and Bryan being arrested on a preliminary charge of misdemeanor Domestic Battery,” said Indiana State Police Public Information Officer Noel Houze.The investigation is continuing and could also result in similar charges against Holly Fields, Houze indicated.last_img read more

Read More »

Healy’s world-record knock leads Aussies to sweep

first_imgAUSTRALIA opener Alyssa Healy hit the highest score in women’s Twenty20 internationals with an unbeaten 148 off 61 balls in victory over Sri Lanka.The wicketkeeper, 29, beat the previous mark of 133 not out set by team-mate Meg Lanning against England in July.Healy struck 19 fours and seven sixes, bringing up her century off 46 balls as the hosts posted 226-2 in Sydney.After Sri Lanka could make only 94-7 in reply, Australia won by 132 runs to secure a 3-0 series whitewash.Healy’s maiden T20 century in her 101st appearance in the format is the fastest by an Australian, and second only in the women’s game to West Indian Deandra Dottin’s 38-ball ton against South Africa in 2010.Her 148 is the fourth-highest individual score in all T20 internationals, behind compatriot Aaron Finch’s 172 against Zimbabwe in 2018, Afghanistan’s Hazratullah Zazai 162 against Ireland in February and Finch’s 156 against England in 2013.Australia’s margin of victory is their biggest in women’s T20 internationals and 10th biggest of all time. (BBC Sport)last_img read more

Read More »

Senior leaders preach ‘1-0’ mentality at Iowa

first_imgBEN CLASSON/Herald photoDisappointing is an understatement.After starting 0-3 in Big Ten play, an abundance of question marks currently surround the Wisconsin football team. But one thing is for sure: It desperately needs a victory Saturday.Following back-to-back home defeats, the Badgers (3-3) will head to Iowa City to take on the Hawkeyes (4-3, 1-2 Big Ten) tomorrow. And despite their unthinkable start, the Badgers — especially the seniors — haven’t forgotten their weekly philosophy.“This is really when you want to bring in the ‘1-0’ mentality,” senior linebacker Jonathan Casillas said. “You need to forget about what you did in the past and look forward to what you have in front of you. If we keep looking back at what we did wrong and the teams we lost to, we’re going to get beat again because [Iowa is] good enough to do that to us.”“Being ‘1-0’ is something that we’ve got to live by and just try and take the rest of this six-game season and do what we can with it, which is win,” senior defensive tackle Jason Chapman echoed. “This is a situation we’re not used to, losing three games in a row. We’ve just got to have a positive mentality about the whole situation and just step forward.”To do that, this veteran-driven defense will have to make vast improvements after giving up 48 points to Penn State last weekend.“[We’ve got to] stay focused and execute,” Casillas said. “We have a lot of playmakers on our team, but we just don’t focus sometimes and we don’t execute. That equals big plays and third down conversions.”Many of which have come after halftime, as the Badgers have been outscored 74-16 in their last four second halves.“We’ve got to be sharper in the second half,” senior linebacker DeAndre Levy said. “In the first half, we’ve been pretty good overall this year, but come out in the second half and given up a lot of big plays, which have made up a lot of the yards, a lot of the points we’ve given up.”Once again, the UW defense will have its work cut out for it tomorrow.Iowa — UW head coach Bret Bielema’s alma mater — lost its first two conference games but found lightning in a bottle behind junior running back Shonn Greene, as the Hawkeyes put up 45 points against Indiana in a 45-9 blowout in Bloomington.Greene is currently second in the Big Ten in rushing yards per game, averaging 133.9 and finishing with 115 and a touchdown against the Hoosiers Saturday.“He’s a very physical back, a big guy,” Casillas said of Greene. “We look forward to playing against big backs like this. P.J. (Hill) is a big back, and I’ve been playing against him [in practice] for years. Playing against (Ohio State’s ‘Beanie’) Wells, you expect to play against guys like that in the Big Ten.”“We feel he’s a strong runner — he’s a good running back,” Chapman said. “He can create some things for them; he’s a real momentum swing for them, and he’s changed their running game a lot, so we’ve got to stop him and make things happen.”No matter who lines up against Wisconsin Saturday, the senior leaders are aware they need to step up their game if they want to turn things around.“We can’t beat ourselves. We’ve done that the past couple weeks,” Casillas said. “Penn State is a great team, but we let some things slip by, and we didn’t compete as much as we wanted to; we kind of self-destructed. If we keep doing that, we’re going to keep losing.”Since Bielema took over the UW head coaching position two years ago, the Badgers have had the Hawkeyes’ number, beating them once in Kinnick Stadium and once at home. Tomorrow, Wisconsin will try to make it three in a row. And after two tough losses in Madison, perhaps it’s a good thing the Badgers will be away from Camp Randall.“I love playing on the road in the Big Ten,” Casillas said. “All the stadiums are nice; all the crowds are ruthless and loud, just how I like it.”Regardless, Wisconsin is still hungry for its first conference victory.“I’m looking forward to a physical game,” Levy said. “There’s been some bad blood between us. I’m just looking forward to it.”Though it was simple, Chapman put it best: “It’s a big game. We’ve got to win.”last_img read more

Read More »

Niger Tornadoes Management Committee Dissolved

first_imgLaleye Dipo in MinnaThe Niger state government on Monday dissolved the management committee of the professional premier league side Niger Tornadoes of Minna.The dissolved committee was headed by Malam Adamu Aliyu, the principal private secretary to Governor Abubakar Sani Bello.A statement announcing the dissolution signed by the Director of Sports Alhaji Baba Sheshi said the dissolution was on the directive of the state governor.The letter with reference No: GHS/COS/045 dated 14th December 2017 states: ” Mr Governor has approved the dissolution of the Tornadoes Management Committee with immediate effect “The ministry wish to appreciate and thank you for your meritorious and selfless service you rendered to the team and state in general, we wish you the best in your future undertakings,” a copy of the letter made available to THISDAY read in part.It was however learnt that lack of cooperation between the dissolved management team and other stakeholders was responsible for the dissolution of the management committee.A new management is to be inaugurated by the state government after the Christmas break.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More »

Diego Costa named in Spain squad despite Jose Mourinho concerns

first_imgChelsea manager Jose Mourinho has warned that his team’s top scorer runs the risk of breaking down if Diego Costa, who has been struggling with a hamstring problem for several weeks, is pushed too hard.Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included Chelsea’s Diego Costa in his squad for Euro 2016 qualifiers against Slovakia and Luxembourg despite Jose Mourinho’s concerns over the striker’s fitness. (Also Read: Ronaldo Returns to Portugal Squad | Fit-Again Robben Included by Netherlands)”He is playing all his games. If we thought he wasn’t in playing condition, we wouldn’t have called him,” Del Bosque told a news conference at which he unveiled his 23-man squad.Chelsea manager Mourinho has warned that his team’s top scorer runs the risk of breaking down if the Brazil-born striker, who has been struggling with a hamstring problem for several weeks, is pushed too hard. (Dirk Kuyt Calls Time on Dutch Career)The Portuguese coach has insisted that Costa can only play one game a week, but he reacted to news of Costa’s call-up by admitting that he was powerless to stop him playing for Spain.”I have no reaction. It’s not a surprise. It’s something I imagined would happen,” Mourinho told a press conference.”If he can play three matches in a week, I think it’s too much. But he is going to do that. “What happens during the 15 days he is away with Spain is something that is out of my hands.”Del Bosque also included two uncapped players in his 23-man squad — Bayern Munich left-back Juan Bernat and Valencia forward Rodrigo Moreno.”Bernat and Rodrigo and performing well. They are players who should be in the national team during many years,” he said.Del Bosque is seeking to rejuvenate the national team following World Cup disappointment.Spain won the 2010 World Cup and the European Championship in 2008 and 2012. But the same core of players was overrun by the Netherlands and Chile in stinging losses to open this year’s World Cup. Del Bosque also recalled Barcelona defender Gerard Pique, who was out injured for the friendly against France and the qualifier against Macedonia in September.Spain face Slovakia on Thursday and at Luxembourg three days later, with both games away.”There are no easy wins against anyone,” Del Bosque said. “Slovakia and Luxembourg are teams with great stability.”SquadGoalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David de Gea (Manchester United/ENG), Kiko Casilla (Espanyol) Defenders: Raul Albiol (Napoli/ITA), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea/ENG), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Juanfran Torres (Atletico Madrid), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Juan Bernat (Bayern Munich/GER)Midfielders: Raul Garcia (Atletico Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea/ENG), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City/ENG), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal/ENG)Forwards: Paco Alcacer (Valencia), Rodrigo Moreno (Valencia), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Diego Costa (Chelsea/ENG)last_img read more

Read More »

OIL CUP 2014: Kotoko face Hasaacas on December 19

first_imgAsante Kotoko will open the novel Oil Cup competition against Hasaacas at the Essipong Stadium on Friday, December 19, the organizers have confirmed.The four-team tournament which is organized by a private firm Absolute Peace International (API) is to celebrate Ghana’s oil find and contribute to the Youth Empowerment Fund.Hearts of Oak and Medeama will play the second game of the competition on Saturday with the winners advancing to the finals to be played on Sunday.Losers of the preliminary stage will square off in the third-place playoff.Organizers, API says they aim to make the Oil Cup an annual competition for the benefit of all through their donations to the Youth Empowerment Fund as their major target.“We want to institute this tournament as one of our own,” Chief Operations Officer of API Nana Ampratwum said. “We want to ensure that the oil find for Ghana, unlike some other countries, will be blessing than a curse to us.“This competition aside promoting peace and competitiveness amongst the teams and their supporters will also help educate our people on how we can manage our new found resource and ensure we reap maximum benefits.”Organizers insist all arrangement have been confirmed with the participating teams to ensure the competition comes off without any hitches.“We have agreed upon everything with the clubs and everything is set for the competition,” Apratwum added.This will be the inaugural edition of the Oil Cup competition and will be featuring Hearts of Oak, Asante Kotoko, Medeama and Hasaacas. All games will be played at the Essipong Stadium in Sekondi.last_img read more

Read More »

US Open 2015: How Novak Djokovic outfought Roger Federer in New York classic

first_imgNovak Djokovic beat Roger Federer 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-4 to win his second US Open title after a compelling battle in New York.The world number one had to contend not only with Federer but also with a highly partisan Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd, who roared on the Swiss throughout a raucous final.He held off a stirring Federer comeback in the fourth set as the second seed came agonisingly close to levelling from two breaks down – but ultimately his failure to convert break points cost him dearly.”It’s been an incredible season. Next to 2011 probably the best season of my life,” said Djokovic, who won the same three grand slam titles in 2011.”But I’m enjoying this year more than any previous one because I’m a husband and I’m a father and that makes it even more sweeter. “I love this sport!”After splitting the first two sets, Djokovic made his move late in the third set, withstanding heavy pressure on his serve and eventually breaking Federer to move within striking distance of his 10th Grand Slam title. Federer faded in the fourth, losing his serve twice more – having been broken just twice in the entire tournament previously.The Swiss clawed one break back but Djokovic held his nerve to send Federer and the Flushing Meadows crowd away disappointed. The 34-year-old has now lost three finals since claiming his 18th and last Grand Slam title in 2012.The 28-year-old Serb had known more frustration than success on the Flushing Meadows hardcourts having previously reached the final five times and lifting the trophy just once in 2011.Sunday’s final changed that record into a much better-looking two out of six. Given the look of the current tennis landscape, and what seems to be a gulf in class between Djokovic and anyone else on the tour in Grand Slam tennis this year, it seems hard to believe that he won’t win at least one more title at Flushing Meadows.– Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Read More »