Melbourne win Senior Cup

first_imgMelbourne are the 2016 champions of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) Senior Cup.The Nikita Miller-captained outfit, whose last hold on the two-day crown was in 2012, won the tournament after defeating first-time finalists St Thomas CA by 75 runs at Sabina Park yesterday.Resuming on 38 for two in their second innings and with an overall lead of 108 runs – after scoring 181 in their first time at bat – Melbourne were dismissed for 159, despite 59 from former national youth representative Omar Allison.Batting at number seven, stroke-playing Allison was best supported by opening batsman, Guyanese Trevon Griffith, who, after being not out 15 overnight, went on to post 37, and Andre McCarthy, who added seven to his overnight 11.MULTIPLE WICKETSLeading the way for St Thomas was off-spin all-rounder Marvin Darlington, who snared five for 41, and Jamaica left-arm fast bowler Gavan Brown, who, after picking up two for 22 on day one, went on to end with four for 47.St Thomas, who scored 111 in their first innings, were then set an outright victory target of 231. However, courtesy of the ever-reliable and in-form Miller, they were bowled out for 156.Bowling his usual tight lines and mixing variations, Miller was seconded by his left-arm counterpart and seasonal sidekick Christopher Lamont, who gathered three for 61 and standout teenage fast bowler Oshane Thomas, who started the demise with two for 23.Carlton Baugh Jr, captain of St Thomas, was the pick of the batsmen for the losers with 48, while former Jamaica youth captain Jamie Trenchfield, with whom Baugh put on a threatening 67 for the fifth wicket, made 25.The victory was sweet delight for Melbourne, who, during the preliminaries, went down to St Thomas on first-innings points.Also as well, last season, Melbourne had their win against the men from the east in the national one-day championship overturned by the JCA, due to the use of inadequate sightscreens. The JCA ruling eliminated Melbourne from the tournament.”It’s a pleasing win,” said Miller, whose team, in addition to the trophy, took home $500,000. “It’s also good to know that after losing to St Thomas in the group stages, we turned up and won when it mattered most.”last_img read more

Read More »

UG suspends classes again after another bomb threat

first_imgIt was an experience of musical chairs of the unsettling kind with classes being cancelled once again at Guyana’s premier tertiary institution, the University of Guyana (UG), which received a second consecutive bomb threat on Wednesday.This time, the threat came in the late afternoon period, and students and staff were not taking chances as they quickly departed the premises when security personnel swooped to investigate the threat.Guyana Times saw notices which were sent out after 17:00h advising students of the administration’s order that the Turkeyen Campus be evacuated owing to the bomb threat. Earlier in the day, some classes were held as indicated by Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith on Tuesday. However, this publication was credibly informed that some classes were already put on hold on Wednesday even before the administration ordered the discontinuation later on.In an invited comment to the press regarding the new threat, Vice Chancellor Griffith noted that Police called the University’s security personnel indicating that they received a call about an alleged bomb. At the time members of the press were present, the security team was again conducting a building-by-building assessment of the campus.“I’ve sent all the students and staff home until we establish full security of our buildings,” he stressed.This bomb threat was in line with threats seen on social media platforms earlier on Wednesday which indicated that other persons would be planting explosives at various institutions. The posts were prevalent on Facebook in the name of an unknown individual going by the name of “Ki Ra” on Wednesday, who said: “This is not the end.”The threats have left many concerned persons calling for law enforcement officials to accelerate their actions to capture the person (s) responsible. This publication attempted several times to contact senior officers within the Guyana Police Force for an update into the investigation, which proved futile. The University of Guyana was the last entity targeted, forcing students to flee onto the fields in fear of their lives after being told that a bomb was planted somewhere on campus. More than that, there were reports of persons under the guise of officers from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) who demanded entry to several premises to conduct searches of the property. One of the incidents reportedly occurred on the East Bank of Demerara (EBD).Parents of School of the Nations students announced Tuesday that $1 million would be rewarded if information about the suspect is divulged. In addition, the President of the Parent-Teachers Association (PTA) Anna Lisa Fraser-Phang argued that the Education Ministry has been doing nothing to help the situation. They are especially worried since the School’s Director, Dr Brian O’Toole was shot on January 27, at his home.Last Friday, Queen’s College and the Bishops’ High School were on lockdown after social media accounts believed to have been created by one person issued threats to students.last_img read more

Read More »