France Confirms Oil Slick after Grande America Sinks

first_imgFrench authorities have detected an oil slick at the sinking site of the ro-ro container vessel Grande America, according to the Maritime Prefecture of Atlantic.The slick was detected in the afternoon hours of March 13 during an overflight by French Navy aircraft. The oil traces were confirmed by offshore supply ship VN SAPEUR, which remained at the site after the fire-stricken ConRo sank.At the time, the Maritime Prefecture of Atlantic said that the oil slick was about ten kilometers long and one kilometer wide. French authorities dispatched the offshore supply ship Argonaute from Brest, and reportedly three additional vessels, to help with the oil cleanup operations.European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) was asked for assistance with pollution control.The vessel was loaded with 365 containers, 45 of which were listed as containing hazardous materials, local media cited the Maritime Prefecture of Atlantic. The ship also had 2,200 tons of fuel in its bunkers.The 1997-built Grande America suffered a fire on March 10 while en route from Hamburg to Casablanca, and subsequently developed a worsening starboard list. It sank in the afternoon hours of March 12 in the Bay of Biscay, some 180 nautical miles west of the French coast in a water depth of around 4,600 meters.The vessel’s owner Grimaldi earlier appointed the salvage company Ardent to provide assistance with the incident.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

Read More »

Petrobras books smaller profit as output declines

first_imgHit by lower crude oil prices, Brazilian state-owned oil and gas giant Petrobras recorded a smaller profit in the first quarter of 2019 when compared to the same period last year amid production decline due to a series of stoppages.P-74 FPSO; Source: PetrobrasThe Brazilian giant on Tuesday posted a net income of $1.125 billion for the first quarter of the year, a 49% decrease when compared to the profit of $2.196 billion in the corresponding quarter of 2018. Net income attributable to shareholders of Petrobras in 1Q 2019 was $1.07 billion compared to $2.1 billion in 1Q 2019.The company’s revenues amounted to $21.2 billion in the first quarter of 2019, an 8% decrease when compared to the revenues of $22.96 billion in 1Q 2018.According to the company, this was mainly due to decrease in domestic revenues, lower export revenues driven by lower international prices of crude oil and oil products and by lower oil product export volumes; and decreased revenues from operations abroad following the disposal of E&P assets of Petrobras America Inc., the sale of distribution companies in Paraguay and lower international prices.Exploration costs were $174 million in 1Q 2019, a 28% increase ($38 million) compared to $136 million in 1Q18, mainly due to higher exploration expenditures relative to projects without commercial feasibility ($42 million) and to increased geological and geophysical expenses ($14 million).Petrobras CEO, Roberto Castello Branco, said: “From the beginning of the year, we initiated a transformational agenda based on our five strategic pillars. Consistent with the focus on the assets in which we are natural owners, in the first four months of the year our divestments reached $11.3 billion, a record for Petrobras. The highest value transaction was the sale of 90% of TAG for US$ 8.6 billion. In the near future it is our firm intention to sell the residual holdings of 10% in TAG and NTS.”Petrobras Crude oil, NGL and Natural Gas production in Brazil in 1Q 2019 decreased by 5% to 2,460 mbpd from 2,582 mbpd in the same period last year.The company explained that the oil, NGL and natural gas production decreased mainly due to the sale of 25% in Roncador field and the reduction of Petrobras’ participation in fields in the US, associated with the higher concentration of maintenance in platforms in the first quarter of 2019 and the natural decline in production.The decrease in production was partially offset by the start-up of seven new systems in the last 12 months, which are still in the process of commissioning and interconnecting new wells: P-74, P-75, P- 76 and P-77, in Búzios field; FPSO Campos dos Goytacazes, in Tartaruga Verde field, P-69, in the extreme south of Lula; and P-67, in the northern area of Lula.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by over 10,000 industry professionals daily. We had nearly 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas and allows our partners to get maximum exposure for their online campaigns. If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options.last_img read more

Read More »

IMCA Modified national, regional champions receive awards from Speedway Engineering

first_imgSYLMAR, Calif. – A California company continues its long association with IMCA in 2017 with awards for Modified drivers winning regional crowns.Speedway Engineering of Sylmar gives the national champion a $1,000 product certificate, good toward the purchase of a complete Ford 9” floater rear end housing or a full-size 10” quick change rear end.The suspension and drivetrain products manufacturer and 19-year IMCA sponsor also gives $300 product certificates to each of the other four regional champions.All awards will be presented during the national awards banquet in November or mailed beginning the follow­ing week from the IMCA home office.Information about the complete line of Speedway Engineering products is available at the www.1speedway.com website or by calling 818 362-5865.“There isn’t much to say about our partnership with Speedway Engineering that hasn’t already been said dur­ing their 19 years of support,” noted IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder. “Speedway Engineering is a leg­end in the industry and our gratitude for being their only sponsorship program can’t be overstated.”“Our sponsorship in IMCA has given us a great way to give back directly to the racing community,” said Speedway Engineering President Ken Sapper.last_img read more

Read More »

Jol could bring in a defender

first_img Press Association The Cottagers, beaten 3-1 at home last weekend by Arsenal, travel to Newcastle on Saturday relieved to have edged to victory in a midweek Capital One Cup penalty shoot-out against Burton. Jol has already moved to strengthen the squad following the signings of midfielders Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt as well as striker Darren Bent, who scored on his debut against Arsenal. The Cottagers boss, though, admits he could do with some cover at the back. Fulham manager Martin Jol has hinted he could move for a new defender before the transfer window closes. Jol said: “He is one of those players who can play left-back, centre-back or right-back, so he fits the bill, but I don’t think he will be the one.” Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder) remains a doubt for the trip to the North East and Kieran Richardson (hamstring) is out, while summer signing Fernando Amorebieta, the Venezuela defender, is not yet match fit. Striker Dimitar Berbatov returns to the squad having been rested in midweek. “I think we are pretty satisfied to have the players on the board. I think we did pretty well to get Darren Bent, Scott Parker and Adel Taarabt,” he said. “We will have to wait and see, maybe there will be one. You never know what will happen.” Jol told a press conference, reported on the club’s official website: “I don’t think it [deadline day] will be as hectic as it was here over the last season when we had one or two players coming in on the last day, but there are always wishes for any manager. “I think at the back, for example, we could do with a player, but we’ll have to wait and see. “Of course Aaron Hughes could always play right-back for Sascha (Riether), but we will have to wait and see – maybe there will be one. “We are probably 20th in the ranking in the league in terms of spending money, but we still do well. “We are very proud that we still get the good players in – like Bent, and even Scott Parker – and I think if we can do that, attract these players, we will do well.” Fulham have been linked with Parma defender Yohan Benalouane. last_img read more

Read More »

Anderson and Broad hungry for one last Ashes series Down Under

first_imgENGLAND seamers Stuart Broad and James Anderson are determined to feature in one last Ashes series in Australia.Anderson will turn 38 in July, while Broad is a couple of months away from his 34th birthday.The new-ball duo are hungry to head Down Under for the 2021-22 Ashes series before considering retirement, with England having failed to regain the urn when they drew 2-2 on home soil last year.Speaking in an Instagram Live Q&A, Broad said to Anderson: “I don’t think I could go until your age. Your action’s so smooth, it looks a lot calmer on your body whereas mine is a little more forceful through my body, I think.“I’d never want to get to that place where I’m bowling against a 19-year-old and they’re going, ‘I thought someone said he used to be a good bowler’. I’d hate that. I’d prefer to go that little bit earlier than that little bit later.“But I’m loving the environment at the minute. I love playing for England. Chris Silverwood coming in as coach is great for me because I really liked him as a bowling coach, and he helped change my action.“I still have huge motivation to keep playing and you just assess that year by year. And we’ve got that carrot dangling over us of Australia in Australia which looks like an achievable carrot to grab.”Anderson stated on his future: “The big thing is standards. If your standards feel like they’re dropping, then yeah, you might consider finishing.“But as long as my standards stay high, my fitness levels stay good and my skills stay where I want them to be and my speed stays pretty good, which they have been, [I will carry on playing].“We’ve got an exciting team and a few young guys who are just starting out on their journey. We’ve got some more established guys and we’ve got two guys who have been around a long time.”(Omnisport)last_img read more

Read More »

Beat writers slightly favor No. 10 Syracuse at home against No. 7 Notre Dame

first_img Published on March 28, 2018 at 8:51 pm No. 10 Syracuse (4-3, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) plays host to No. 7 Notre Dame (5-2, 1-0) on Saturday at 5 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. The Orange is coming off a 15-14 road win over then-No. 3 Duke, securing SU a spot in the ACC Tournament. When the two teams met last season in South Bend, Indiana, the Orange knocked off the then-No. 1 Irish.See what our beat writers think of Saturday’s top-10 matchup.Charlie DiSturcoUNDer fireNotre Dame 11, Syracuse 9Despite being killed in faceoffs last week, Syracuse managed to pull off a huge win on the road against Duke. The Orange showed its potential when everything is put together. The win put the Orange in the Atlantic Coast Conference’s driver’s seat — at least for now. Notre Dame meanwhile has allowed double-digit goals twice all season. And both times, UND lost those games.But Syracuse’s offense has been so inconsistent, as seen in its three-goal output against Albany a week after 21 goals against Binghamton. Tack on the fact that SU faceoff specialist Danny Varello is slumping and UND’s John Travisano Jr. is having a bounce-back year, and the Fighting Irish have the advantage. Notre Dame also returns four of its five top scorers from last year, while Syracuse’s young offense is still finding its place. There’s too much on UND’s side for this ACC matchup.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMatt LibermanSt. Paddy’s Day was last weekSyracuse 11, Notre Dame 10SU and Notre Dame are practically polar opposites. Notre Dame has been a model of consistency, not necessarily in the best way, but consistent nonetheless. Notre Dame has never scored fewer than nine goals or more than 12 this season. Meanwhile its opponents have all fallen between seven and 13.With the Orange, we have a season-high 21-goal offensive outburst and three-goal duds as well as a defense that has limited an opponent to four goals, but also given up 18.Coming off a 15-goal performance down in Durham, North Carolina, though, SU showed an ability to shoot efficiently and protect the ball. If the Orange can do the same at home against the Fighting Irish, it should send Notre Dame packing.Josh SchaferIt takes twoSyracuse 14, Notre Dame 12The Orange has won back-to-back games just once this season. That changes Saturday night. Syracuse put together its most impressive offensive performance of the season against a Top 5 defense last weekend in Durham. It’s hard to say that momentum doesn’t carry over against Notre Dame, which sits 21st in the country in scoring defense with nine goals allowed per game. Couple that with Notre Dame’s conference-worst 10.3 goals per game and SU appears to have the advantage. If Syracuse limits itself to fewer than 10 turnovers again this Saturday, expect a repeat of the Duke game and a second-straight win for John Desko and company. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Read More »

Hamilton: Rosberg Says Debate over Rival’s Tactics is ‘Pointless’

first_imgFormula 1 world champion Nico Rosberg has said the debate around Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton’s tactics in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is “pointless”.Hamilton ignored team orders and drove deliberately slowly in an attempt to back Rosberg into rivals.Mercedes could take action against Hamilton, but Rosberg said he “understood” the Briton’s tactics.“It’s done, it’s a thing of the past and it’s fine,” said the German, 31.Hamilton, 31, went into the race 12 points behind Rosberg and needed to win – with the German finishing lower than third – to take the title. Mercedes repeatedly ordered Hamilton to speed up during the race, but he ignored their commands and told his team to “let us race”. Rosberg still finished second to secure his first F1 world title.Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Rosberg refused to be drawn on the subject, saying he “respected” Hamilton because they were “really good friends back in the day”.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More »

Government fulfils promise to former Black Stars players

first_imgThe Ministry of Youth and Sports (MOYS) has presented a cheque for 1.7 million ghc to members of the Black Stars that won the 1963, 1965, 1978 and 1982 Africa Cup of Nations.The move was to serve as a compensation for the players, for unfulfilled promises by previous governments. Mahama Ayarigah, Minister of Youth and Sports, said he was proud to be associated with the old players, whose achievements established Ghana as a powerful football nation.“Your names were household names in those days, even though some of us were not born then, take great pride in your achievements.“It is our firm conviction that, these humble gesture will serve as due compensation for your efforts in the past. “Your commitment, hard work and dedication towards the national flag have made Ghana what it is today.” He stated. Ibrahim Sunday, President of the Retired National Footballers Association of Ghana (RENFAG) expressed appreciation to the minister for the guest.“We are happy the wait is now over. For over 36 years, we have been waiting for this moment. “Even those who did not live to see today, will have their souls glorified.” He stated.last_img read more

Read More »

DCI still investigating man being shot in Goldfield

first_imgGOLDFIELD — The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation continues to look into the incident where a man was shot during an altercation on Tuesday at a home in Goldfield in Wright County and later turned up walking along a gravel road in the rural part of the county.The DCI says the Eagle Grove Police Department was called at about  5 o’clock Tuesday afternoon to 722 North Pine Street after neighbors reported hearing gunshots coming from the home. The DCI says 38-year-old Rich Crawford was shot in the chest by a male who is not being identified at this time. Crawford was later found walking on a gravel road in rural Goldfield.Authorities transported him to the Iowa Specialty Hospital in Clarion, where he was treated and released. No charges have been filed, but the DCI says the crime remains under investigation.last_img read more

Read More »

Elementary school students fingerprinted after knife found on campus

first_imgAuthorities are reporting that students at Grassy Waters Elementary School in West Palm Beach were fingerprinted after school administrators found a kitchen knife in a student’s backpack.According to the report, the incident occurred earlier this week in a 5th grade classroom.Officials did not say how the knife was discovered, however, they did report that none of the students in the classroom would claim the backpack or the knife.Authorities then circulated small pieces of paper to students in the classroom and had each student put their fingerprints on the paper.Officials say those fingerprints have since been destroyed and that police had no true intention of using the fingerprints as part of the investigation.The Principal of the school has since sent out a notice to parents apologizing for the incident and saying it is “not something that the school district condones.”The police department is currently investigating both the discovery of the knife and the handling of the situation.last_img read more

Read More »