First floating offshore wind project off Wales moves step closer to development

first_imgFirst floating offshore wind project off Wales moves step closer to development FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Business Green:Wales’ first floating wind project took a major step forward this week, after the Crown Estate awarded seabed rights to developers to build the 96MW demonstration project in the Celtic Sea.If final planning consent is granted, the Erebus project would be installed approximately 44km from the shore and will allow developer Blue Gem Wind – a joint venture between French oil giant Total and developer Simply Blue Energy – to trial floating wind technology in water depths of 70 metres.“Welsh waters are home to a thriving offshore wind industry and as this continues to evolve and mature, innovation will be vital to unlocking a sustainable pipeline of new capacity over the longer term,” head of energy development at the Crown Estate Will Apps said. “With an increasingly busy marine environment, we need to explore new technologies in more diverse and technically challenging areas which is why we are delighted to see the Erebus project take this important step.”Floating wind technology does not rely on traditional fixed foundations and allows wind projects to be installed in deeper waters where wind yields are higher. While in its infancy today, the technology is anticipated to grow rapidly over the decades to come and play a steering role in helping the UK deliver 75GW of offshore wind by mid-century, a target set by government climate advisors the Committee on Climate Change. Research centre Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Catapult estimates that the Celtic Sea alone could support up to 50GW of offshore capacity, while supporting thousands of jobs in Wales and southwest England.The leasing deal is one of a number of offshore wind milestones recently marked in Wales by the Crown Estate. Last month, it granted seabed rights for a 106-square kilometre extension to the Gwynt y Mor offshore wind farm off the coast of North Wales. The extension, if consented, will add 576MW of capacity to one of the world’s largest offshore wind farms. And last year, the Crown Estate included the Northern Wales and Irish Sea Bidding Area in the first UK offshore wind leasing round held in a decade. Projects picked in Offshore Leasing Round 4 could be operational by 2030, it said, with projects set to be identified later this year through a competitive tender process.[Cecilia Keating]More: Wales’ maiden floating offshore wind project secures seabed rightslast_img read more

Read More »

FIFA bribery trial due to kick off in New York court

first_imgBy Brendan Pierson NEW YORK (Reuters) – More than two years after U.S. prosecutors unveiled a sweeping corruption case that rocked FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, three former officials linked to the organization are due to face trial on graft charges on Monday in a New York court.Selection of jurors is scheduled to begin before U.S. District Judge Pamela Chen in Brooklyn. On trial Manuel Burga, former president of Peru’s soccer federation; José Maria Marin, the former president of Brazil’s soccer federation; and Juan Ángel Napout, formerly president of the South American soccer governing body CONMEBOL and of Paraguay’s soccer federation.U.S. prosecutors have accused the three of taking bribes and kickbacks in connection with the sale of media and marketing rights to Copa America and Copa Libertadores tournaments, international competitions organized by CONMEBOL.The trial is part of a sweeping criminal probe in which U.S. prosecutors have charged 42 people and entities. Prosecutors have described a widespread culture of corruption around the awarding of media and marketing rights to soccer games throughout the world. Burga, Marin and Napout are the first of the people charged to go to trial.Twenty-four people have pleaded guilty, most of them since the probe was announced in May 2015, though the first pleas came in 2013. The charges against one of those people, U.S. soccer official Charles Blazer, were voided after his death in July.“After waiting two years, Mr. Napout looks forward to his day in court,” Napout’s lawyer, Silvia Pinera-Vazquez, said on Friday.Charles Stillman, a lawyer for Marin, and Bruce Udolf, a lawyer for Burga, declined to comment.Among the defendants who have pleaded guilty in the case are Jeffrey Webb, a former FIFA vice president and president of CONCACAF, the governing body for soccer in North America, Central America and the Caribbean; and José Hawilla, accused of paying bribes to secure contracts for his sports marketing company, Traffic Group.In October, Costas Takkas, described by prosecutors as Webb’s attache, was sentenced to 15 months in prison and Hector Trujillo, a former secretary general of the Guatemalan soccer federation, was sentenced to eight months.Other defendants have not been extradited to the United States.Sepp Blatter, who served as FIFA’s president from 1998 until he was suspended in late 2015, was not charged in the case.Authorities in Switzerland, where FIFA is based, said in October that they were investigating potential bribery around media rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups.last_img read more

Read More »

US-23 in Alpena Cleaner Thanks to Special Group of Volunteers

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisThanks to volunteers and members of MDOT, U.S. 23 South is looking quite spotless. The 6th Annual South Bay Corridor Clean Up allowed folks to pick up unwanted waste and trash.Organizer Larry Clark said keeping the area clean would allow residents and tourist to enjoy a healthier environment.Business owner’s like Hal Neiman believes that maintaining a clean area in this part of Alpena attracts future businesses and increases residential population.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Gembel Sisters Receive Awards After Traveling to Lansing to Present ‘Fallen Officer’ Plaques to MSPNext What’s Trending for July 27last_img read more

Read More »

Bears WR Allen Robinson says team would welcome Kareem Hunt ‘with open arms’

first_imgKareem Hunt has a potential home in Chicago.Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson revealed he would be willing to embrace the former Chiefs running back if the team was to sign him this offseason. Chiefs GM Brett Veach: ‘No more basketball’ for QB Patrick Mahomes “I talked to Kareem, completely wanting to know how he’s doing,” Nagy said. “We had a good conversation. Here’s a kid that I spent a year coaching on offense. It’s a tough situation. I wanted to see … making sure that he’s OK but understanding, too, the situation that happened is unfortunate for everybody. He knows that.” “From when I met [him] and everything like that, for us to bring him into our locker room, I think guys would welcome him with open arms,” Robinson told the Chicago Sun-Times. Bears coach Matt Nagy, who spent time with Hunt when he served as offensive coordinator for Kansas City in 2017, said he spoke to the embattled rusher in January. Related News Hunt was released by the Chiefs on Nov. 30 after video emerged of him shoving and kicking a woman at a Cleveland hotel in February. It later was revealed he allegedly punched a man in the face in June and attacked a man at a nightclub in January.The 23-year-old became a free agent last month and faces more than the baseline six-game suspension for violation of the NFL’s personal conduct policy.A decision on whether Hunt will be allowed to play in 2019 is expected be announced before free agency begins in March.last_img read more

Read More »